REXX, SPF, Internet drafts

2007-05-20

sitemap.cmd 0.3

FWIW I've added the schema magic to sitemap.cmd (0.3), adjusting the documentation of the REXX ftpsynch wannabe-content management system.

Apart from being a bit longer and overwriting siteold.xml the new version now passes XML schema validation. Caveat, don't use its buggy text/html output at the moment.

Unrelated, Google's page creator rewrites an uploaded sitemap 0.90 automagically into a sitemap 0.84 removing all <lastmod> elements. Or rather it did that last week for e.g. this sitemap, maybe it's one of the experimental features.

md5.cmd 1.1: Auth Digest + Digest-MD5

The IETF SASL WG recently decided to drop the RFC 2831bis draft from their agenda. Therefore I've removed the code handling <quoted-pair> (backslashes) from the MD5 test suite 1.0 (REXX script).

RFC 4590 contains four examples for Auth Digest. That's in essence the same as Digest-MD5 defined in RFC 2831, only based on the older RFC 2617. The examples were apparently copied as is to RFC 4590bis drafts. I've added the 2*2 (INVITE+rspauth, GET+rspauth) examples to md5.cmd (1.1).

The RFC 4590 examples still fail in my MD5 test suite, or rather my attempt to guess the used password failed. There's also an oddity in these examples not yet supported by the REXX script:

RFC 2617 states that a client sending any qop= parameter, for the RFC 4590 examples that's qop=auth, MUST also send a cnonce= (client nonce) together with a NC= (nonce counter). In the RFC 4590 examples the client doesn't do that, causing a trap in my REXX script.

There are two plausible ways to fix this, either use the RFC 2069 fallback algorithm, or simply omit the missing NC and CNONCE. In simplified REXX the second solution would be:

 return MD5( HA1 || ':' || NONCE || ':auth:' || MD5( XURL )) 

The first (2069) solution would use a colon : instead of :auth:. The "official" RFC 2617 string instead of :auth: is:

 ':' || NC || ':' || CNONCE || ':' || QOP || ':' 

Other variants of what RFC 4590 actually wants could be to use an empty CNONCE with a dummy NC in the direction of :00000001::auth:. As always Digest-MD5 is messy.

Related, an old 2069-erratum still rots in the pending errata mbox. I'm now confident that the 2069-code in md5.cmd works at least with the IETF tools server. I've not yet submitted an erratum for RFC 2983, three out of four 2983-examples are fine.

2007-05-14

LP Logo Position, AH Align Header

Some troubles with Google's custom search engines (CSE):
  • The watermark "branding" fails miserably with Javascript 1.1. The code doesn't check this old version resulting in garbage with browsers still using it. I always disable JS 1.1, but I can't ask visitors of pages using my "xyzzy" CSE to disable JS 1.1 before, they wouldn't know what it is. Now I use the ordinary "branding" with one of Google's six CSE logos.
  • The default position of the search form on the result page is "left" set by AH:left. Fans of the old free site search form know this "Align Header"  parameter, it's (kind of) documented on my lab page. It's also straight forward to modify it, add ;AH:center to the cof=FORID:0 parameter, where 0 might be something else depending on the used form.
  • The free site search result pages show my logo immediately above the search form. The used parameters L: for the logo URL and S: for the site URL are still the same for CSEs, it's only not more necessary to specify all these odd values as part of the cof= parameter, Google inserts them on the fly. Unfortunately it also uses some CSS magic (style sheets) to get this right, failing miserably with browsers not supporting CSS. After some experiments I found the culprit: There's a new LP:1 "Logo Position" , this has to be disabled by LP:0 to get the desired effect.
Putting it all together I ended up with this form input:
 <input type="hidden" name="cof" value="FORID:0;AH:center;LP:0" /> 
For an example see this form, I'll update the other forms later. Of course I'll need my own "googlet" for this CSE. But the normal "add to Google" CSE gadget is anyway far too big for my taste.

2007-05-04

Inline googlets

I've moved leo-dict.xml and leo-gghp.xml to Web space hosted by Google. Both offer a simple form for a service provided by LEO, English to German (or vice versa) translations.

Add to Google  leo-dict.xml uses Content type html for Googlets  with target="_top" as required by LEO, resulting in an <iframe> on an iGoogle-page or wherever it's used. Of course this only works with browsers and devices supporting <iframe>.

Add to Google  leo-gghp.xml uses Content type html-inline without target="_top", resulting in an ordinary search form on an iGoogle-page working with any browser, at least it works for me. There are various disadvantages of html-inline, e.g., users are asked if they really trust that this Googlet  won't screw up the layout of their iGoogle-page (it could with some JavaScript magic). On the other hand html-inline could also work on PDAs.

Fictitious u+1E9E character endorsed by German Home Office

A misrepresentation of some ß uses in upper case head lines, on books, and on tombstones resulted in a proposal to add an "upper case ß" to Unicode as code point u+1E9E (PDF).

I've got a warning that this PDF might crash some PDF viewers, but exceptionally AcroReader 3 survived this attack.

The next likely step could be demands to permit ß in I18N domain labels because it suddenly got an upper case variant.

Of course there's also the "minor" problem of upgrading fonts and software for a fictitious "upper case ß" worldwide, as far as they support German.

Labels

Creative Commons Licencexyzzy blog
CC Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 License
Search only IANA, ICANN, IETF, OpenSPF, Unicode, W3C, xyzzy

About Me

My photo
Hamburg, Germany
ex-Wikiholic