blogger dashboard blog archive
xyzzy homepage

REXX, Full Frontal mpeg, IANA

2019-02-10

Raise Your Flag (pt. 2)

Various cats, hamsters, 99 Luftballons, pugs, 140 billion unicorns and other magical creatures including a dragon seriously confused me, therefore I started a strategical retreat into the FoGs of Greyscale with at most one pet. Standard CCC question, what could possibly go wrong?

Nothing, until today, I found a 2017 film not yet listed in enwiki, a 2010 interview about another film with the same director and lead actor, some not so nice books about the Fields of Grey (fortunately in a NN state), and ten Google sites linking to free PDFs for the worst book, where free stood for only register with your e-mail address for a free trial followed by you're almost there, verify your address with your credit card, no costs at all.

Sure, I also loved that they couldn't predict if the PDF is actually available on their site or not. With the cheapest Amazon offer at about $ 850,– and lots of allegedly 1…3 hours old reviews, finally I got this rare e-book for free, and it is wonderful etc. One hour later I had doubled my number of Google abuse reports in this millennium (was 10, now 20.)

Checking a remaining biography I got some irrelevant search hits about the grey area, and one Twitter hit by her.😢 Without Twitter account all hashtags I really cared about were #SaveYourInternet (not necessarily agreeing with Alphabet), #the_accidental_poet (for the _poet), and #GirlsGotGroove (for Sina.) Even folks who never used Twitter get the idea of proper #metoo subsets, and that's why I'm now tackling the promised Raise Your Flag part 2 with a guaranteed number of zero pets:

The next entry will be tricky, it's definitely Liaden, but which heroine? The mathematician is brilliant while she lived, but her after-life and later resurrection are too bizarre for my tastes. Theo is clearly the best, a coming-of-age begin followed by a career as solo-fighter and renegade. OTOH if I need help against the dragon mentioned above it must be Priscilla, and the religious zealots (in my head) will try everything to have her. Some fanboys not busy with the Slytherin or the racing driver would of course pick Miri based on 5'2" up to 5'6" (and the wrong kind of red hairs, idiot boys), but that can't beat Priscilla or Theo. So, who is it, Priscilla? Thought so.

Moon is not the best of these authors, but Once a Hero is the best military SF I know (that includes Honor Harrington and what's listed above.) McMaster Bujold is brilliant, and I don't know only the Vorkosigan-Saga. However, Miles vs. Ari, it's not fair, by definition Ari is the better heroine. For Barrayar it's Cordelia vs. Ari, possibly maybe Cordelia should win, but I love coming-of-age stories as in Cyteen. Crystal singer is actually a trilogy and an exception, not the boring (for me) heroine gets at least six children, and at least one of those gets also six children plot, but a heroine who cannot get children at all. And "only" three books in a trilogy, not ten or whatever for the unicorn girl, and besides I've had it with unicorns after Hogwarts.

Griffith is a legend, and the part claiming that she's writing about sex are alternative facts: The thriller:tech:romance:sex ratio could be 9:7:3:1 on the border to not enough sex (admittedly more than all others listed above), and if you think that it's the wrong kind of sex check out The Diamond Age, neo-Victorian might be your thing. It also has a heroine and a coming-of-age plot.

While trying to fix all broken SVGs for Freeciv (that ultimately failed for various reasons, it can take years to not fix a single comma if it's outside of the radar of all still active maintainers) I never got to the point, where I could add Pirate Jenny as female leader to the Pirates, or just for fun Julia Reda. On YouTube folks disagree who was the best Pirate Jenny, with two or (counting Lotte Lenya) three hot candidates. I've found a fourth, Anne Kerry Ford is the most militant, demoting the others to drama queens.

Pirate flag

No comments:

Labels

Creative Commons Licencexyzzy blog
CC Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 License
Search only IANA, ICANN, IETF, OpenSPF, Unicode, W3C, xyzzy

About Me

My photo
Hamburg, Germany
There's no EX in ex-Wikiholic. Now having fun with the last days of Google+ and its self-proclaimed murderess.